Acer palmatum 'Sango-kaku'
coral-bark maple ( syn Acer senkaki )
- in stock
- 3 litre pot (30cm)
- Standard £4.95
- Next / named day £7.95
- Position: lightly, dappled shade
- Soil: fertile, moist, well-drained neutral to acid soil
- Rate of growth: slow-growing
- Flowering period: April to May
- Hardiness: fully hardy
'Sango-kaku' is one of the best (and most popular) Japanese maples, as it looks fabulous all year round. It has pale green, deeply cut leaves that turn soft shades of yellow in autumn, and it also looks gorgeous in winter, after all the leaves have fallen, when its new shoots glow coral-red in the winter sunlight. Try it next to a path, or in front of a window, where the autumn and winter colour can be fully appreciated, or as part of a winter border. It needs a shaded, sheltered spot, away from strong winds.
- Garden care: Add a top-dressing of a multi-purpose fertiliser around the base of a newly planted tree in late spring and keep well watered. No routine pruning is required, just remove any dead, damaged or crossing branches in late autumn or winter when they are fully dormant.