Achillea millefolium 'Cerise Queen'
yarrow (syn Kirschkönigin)
- in stock
- 9cm pot
- Standard FREE (orders over £50), or £3.95
- Next / named day £6.95
- Position: full sun
- Soil: well-drained, including dry soil
- Rate of Growth: fast-growing
- Flowering period: May to August
- Hardiness: fully hardy
The flattened heads of bright cerise flowers are held high on tall stems, hovering above, and contarsting beautifully with, the ferny grey-green foliage. A long-flowering perennial, which like other achilleas, becomes drought tolerant once established, it works well in a sunny spot and makes a great partner for ornamental grasses. It also makes a lovely cut flower.
- Garden care: Achilleas do not like wet soil. Stake using bamboo canes or brushwood before the flowers appear. Cut down to the ground in late winter, but resist the urge to do this earlier, as the seed heads look lovely in the winter light. Pull out seedlings as they appear, as they rarely match the host plant. Lift and divide large clumps in late autumn or early spring.