chives / Allium schoenoprasum
- in stock
- 9cm pot
- Standard FREE (orders over £50), or £3.95
- Next / named day £6.95
- Position: full sun
- Soil: fertile, moist well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Flowering period: July to August
- Hardiness: fully hardy
One of the main reasons for growing chives is to harvest the edible leaves, which enhance the flavour of many savoury dishes. This vigorous plant also produces clusters of brilliant pink to purple or white, button-like summer flowers, which are also edible and look wonderful sprinkled over summer salads. It's perfect for a sunny, well-drained border or gravel garden.
- Garden care: Avoid excessive mositure from late summer when dormant.