beetroot or Beta vulgaris 'Boltardy'
(shipped within 1-2 working days)
- approx 275 seeds
- Seed Packets (only) £5.95
- Named day £14.95
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil:tolerates most
A classic beetroot, super-reliable and very tolerant of weather extremes, so you can start your crop earlier in the year and finish harvesting later. Produces delicious deep purple, spherical roots which are at their tenderest harvested just larger than a golfball. The leaves can also be picked sparingly as a tasty spinach substitute.
- Growing instructions: In spring, make a shallow drill 1cm deep and sow the large, easy-to-handle seeds about 15cm apart. Cover again lightly with soil and water in. Seeds produce multiple seedlings, so thin to leave one plant to mature at each spot. Beetroot can also be grown in containers: sow direct into the compost allowing about five seeds to a 45cm pot. Sow a half-row of seeds every three weeks for a regular supply of roots from early summer well into autumn.
- Sow: March-July
- Harvest: Late May to September
- Approximate quantity: 275 seeds