Calycanthus × raulstonii 'Hartlage Wine'
- available to order from spring
- 2 litre pot
This shrub is deciduous so it will lose all its leaves in autumn, then fresh new foliage appears again each spring.
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: moderately fertile, humus-rich, moist but well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: May to September
- Hardiness: fully hardy
First previewed at Chelsea in 2010, this rare and delightful shrub will often produce its lightly scented flowers from late spring to early autumn. The flowers themselves are a delight and form along the branches. They are a rich shade of burgundy red, with just a hint of cream towards their centre - very attractive against the backdrop of the lustrous green foliage, which usually turns buttery shades in autumn.
- Garden care: Shelter from cold drying winds. Remove dead or damaged stems in late winter or early spring.