Camellia japonica 'Adeyaka'
- 1.5 litre pot
- available to order from autumn
- Standard £5.95
- Position: partial shade (but not east-facing)
- Soil: moist but well-drained, humus-rich, acid soil (or ericaceous compost for container-grown specimens)
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: January to March
- Hardiness: fully hardy
The mainly upright stems of this camellia are quite pliable, so it is possible to tie them onto a sturdy support and grow this as a wall shrub. If left to develop naturally, it will form a dense, bushy evergreen, that is smothered in pinkish red winter flowers, each with a dense cluster of yellow-tipped stamens.
- Garden care: To prevent damage to the emerging buds and flowers protect from cold, dry winds and early morning sun. Water established plants in dry weather to prevent bud drop. Apply a balanced liquid fertiliser in mid-spring and again in June. Top-dress annually with shredded bark or well-rotted leaf mould. After flowering lightly trim or prune any branches that spoil the appearance of the plant.