Camellia japonica 'Lady Vansittart'
- available to order from summer
- 1.5 litre pot
- Standard £5.95
- Position: partial shade (but not east-facing)
- Soil: moist but well-drained, humus-rich, acid soil (or ericaceous compost for container-grown specimens)
- Rate of growth: slow-growing
- Flowering period: February to April
- Hardiness: fully hardy
An unusual camellia with semi-double, white flowers, flushed and striped rose-pink, and distinctive, almost holly-like, dark green leaves. This upright, evergreen shrub is perfect for growing in a large, well-drained pot. Since it's less vigorous than other varieties of camellia it's easy to keep small and neat.
- Garden care: To prevent damage to the emerging buds and flowers protect from cold, dry winds and early morning sun. Water established plants in dry weather to prevent bud drop. Apply a balanced liquid fertiliser in mid-spring and again in June. Top-dress annually with shredded bark or well-rotted leaf mould. After flowering lightly trim or prune any branches that spoil the appearance of the plant. Protect container-grown specimens in winter by wrapping with bubble wrap or hessian.
Goes well with
Chaenomeles × superba Crimson and Gold
2 litre pot
In stock (shipped within 5-7 working days)