Camellia sasanqua 'Plantation Pink'
autumn flowering camellia
- available to order from autumn
- 3 litre pot
- Position: partial shade (but not east-facing)
- Soil: moist but well-drained, humus-rich, acid soil (or ericaceous compost for container-grown specimens)
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: October to December
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Large pale pink, single flowers with a large central boss of golden yellow stamens appear among lustrous, dark green leaves from late autumn, just when the garden is most in need of colour. A strongly upright camellia that has an open habit, so it can easily be trained as a wall shrub. It makes a great feature plant when used in a winter themed border. Alternatively use it in conjunction with plants that flower at other times of the year to prolong the season of interest. It will flourish best in a sheltered spot with reliable moisture.
- Garden care: To prevent damage to the emerging buds and flowers, protect from cold, dry winds and early morning sun. Water established plants in dry weather to prevent bud drop. Apply a balanced liquid fertiliser in mid-spring and again in June. Top-dress annually with shredded bark or well-rotted leaf mould. After flowering lightly trim or prune any branches that spoil the appearance of the plant.