celeriac / Apium graveolens var. rapaceum 'Prinz'
- in stock
- approx 100 seeds
- Standard £4.95
- Next / named day £7.95
- Position: full sun or light shade
- Soil: rich, with lots of composted prganic matter
A big, robust celeriac that's very trouble-free to grow, with a rich, aromatic celery-like flavour and crisp white flesh perfect for eating raw sliced or grated into salads. Slow to bolt and disease-resistant, it produces large pale swollen stems above ground level which stand well through winter for you to harvest as you need them.
- Growing Instructions: Celeriac requires a long growing season so sow in trays of seed compost under glass in early spring. Pot on seedlings as they grow and harden off to accustom them to outdoor conditions before planting out into their final growing site 40cm apart in late March. Keep well-watered to prevent bolting (running to seed) and protect from slugs. Remove the lower leaves from summer onwards as the plant grows to encourage the root to swell.
- Sow: Feb to April
- Harvest: September to February
- Approximate quantity: 100 seeds