Cistus × purpureus
- available to order from spring
- 2 litre pot
- Position: full sun
- Soil: moderately fertile, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: June to July
- Hardiness: frost hardy (needs winter protection in cold areas)
Cistus originate from dry, rocky parts of the Mediterranean and Canary Islands and so are drought-tolerant and low maintenance. They produce masses of flowers in midsummer, but each lasts only one day. In June and July, Cistus x purpureus produces crumpled, dark-pink flowers splashed with maroon at the base of each petal. Try this rounded, sun-loving, evergreen rock rose towards the front of a sheltered, sunny, well-drained border, or in a container. It will tolerate chalky soil and salty air.
- Garden care: After flowering, pinch back young plants to encourage a bushy habit. Lightly trim or cut back an y stems that spoil the symmetry of the plant. This plant should never be pruned hard.