Astelia 'Silver Shadow' (PBR)
- available to order from late autumn
- 2 litre pot
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: moist, fertile, peaty soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: April to May
- Hardiness: half hardy (will need winter protection)
This astelia is a superb architectural plant that adds drama and definition to a border. It has pointed, spear-shaped leaves that look as though they have been dusted with silver. In mid- to late spring long stalks of pale yellowish green flowers may be produced from female plants, followed by orange berries in the summer. It looks particularly good among grasses, purple-leaved plants, or other plants with silver foliage. In cold winters in exposed areas it may need some protection as it is not fully hardy.
- Garden care: Provide protection during cold winters and divide plants, if necessary, in April to May. Avoid overhead watering if possible.