Clematis × aromatica
clematis (group 3)
(shipped in 5-7 working days)
- 3 lt pot (60cm cane)
- Next / named day
This climber is deciduous so it will lose all its leaves in autumn, then fresh new foliage appears again each spring.
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: fertile, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Flowering period: July to September
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Rich purple star-shaped flowers with pale yellow anthers cover this low-growing plant from summer to autumn. It looks great when allowed to scramble through the border, and makes a fine specimen in a pot for the patio. As the name suggests the flowers have a delicious and strong fragrance. Easy to grow through shrubs and trees as the plant is pruned back each spring and so never becomes too much of a burden on the supporting plant.
- Garden care: In early spring cut back the previous year's stems to a pair of strong buds about 15-20cm (6-8in) above ground level and apply a slow-release balanced fertiliser and a mulch of well-rotted garden compost around the plant, avoiding the immediate crown.