clematis (group 3)
- available to order from autumn
- 3 lt pot (60cm cane)
This climber is semi-evergreen, so it can lose some of its leaves in winter. In colder regions or more exposed gardens, it may lose them all, but then fresh new foliage appears again in spring.
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: fertile, well-drained, neutral soil
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Flowering period: July to October
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Masses of sweetly scented, pure white, star-shaped flowers from July to October, followed by silky-grey seedheads. The common name for this semi-evergreen or deciduous clematis - the fragrant virgin's bower - refers to the fantastic hawthorn-vanilla perfume that fills the air after rain. Perfect for growing through a tree or shrub in a well-drained, sheltered site in full sun.
- Garden care: In early spring cut back the previous year's stems to a pair of strong buds about 15-20cm (6-8in) above ground-level and apply a slow-release balanced fertiliser and a mulch of well-rotted garden compost around the plant, avoiding the immediate crown.