Clematis 'Frances Rivis'
alpine clematis (group 1)
- in stock
- 2 lt pot (60cm cane)
- Standard FREE (orders over £50), or £3.95
- Next / named day £6.95
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: fertile, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Flowering period: April to May
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Delightful, slightly twisted, purple-blue bells form in mid- to late spring and are followed by whiskery seedheads, which cover the plant later in the year. 'Frances Rivis' is one of the best of the alpinas. It was raised by a Suffolk gardener of the same name in 1900, from seed. It blooms reliably each spring, no matter what the weather is and is perfect for a sunny trellis. It is one of the easiest clematis to look after as it needs little or no pruning - and it is also one of the toughest, so ideal for cold, exposed sites.
- Garden care: Pruning is not essential but you can remove any dead or weak growth in early summer to encourage strong new growth. Mulch in late winter with garden compost or well-rotted manure but avoid the immediate crown.