Clematis 'Happy Anniversary'
clematis (group 2)
- available to order from spring 2021
- 2 lt pot (60cm cane)
This climber is deciduous so it will lose all its leaves in autumn, then fresh new foliage appears again each spring.
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: fertile, well-drained, neutral soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: May to June
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Large, deep lavender blue flowers are produced from late spring to early summer, with a second flush in late summer. The variety is ideal for growing up obelisks, walls, fences and pergolas, and even makes a striking display in a pot on the patio. It will happily grow in most spots in the garden but does prefer a sunny wall to climb up.
- Garden care: Remove dead and damaged stems before growth begins in early spring, cutting all remaining stems back to where strong buds are visible. Apply a slow-release balanced fertiliser and a mulch of well-rotted garden compost around the base of the plant in early spring.