Clematis macropetala 'Wesselton'
clematis (group 1)
- available to order from summer
- 2 lt pot (60cm cane)
- Standard £4.95
This climber is deciduous so it will lose all its leaves in autumn, then fresh new foliage appears again each spring.
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: fertile, well-drained, neutral soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: April to May
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Large, double, bell-shaped, mid-blue early spring flowers followed by attractive, silvery, seedheads retained throughout the summer. This early spring-flowering clematis is ideal for covering a north-facing fence or wall. It also looks lovely trained to climb into small trees or allowed to scramble through neighbouring shrubs.
- Garden care: No routine pruning is necessary. If the spread of the plant needs to be restricted prune immediately after flowering, cutting back overlong shoots to healthy buds. Apply a slow-release balanced fertiliser and a mulch of well-rotted garden compost around the base of the plant in early spring.