Clematis 'Warszawska Nike'
clematis (group 2/3) ( syn. Warsaw Nike )
- in stock
(shipped in 3 to 5 working days)
- 2 lt pot (40cm cane)
- Next / named day
This climber is deciduous so it will lose all its leaves in autumn, then fresh new foliage appears again each spring.
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: fertile, well-drained, neutral soil
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Flowering period: late May to October (depending on how it is pruned)
- Hardiness: fully hardy
A stunning clematis that produces an abundance of large (up to 10cm across if pruned as a Group 2 clematis) rich, velvety-purple flowers. An adaptable and easy to grow climber, that looks particularly lovely when teamed with a deep pink climbing rose, such as Rosa 'Zephirine Drouhin'.
- Garden care: Depending on how it is pruned in early spring (before the new growth starts to emerge), this clematis can be grown as either a Group 2 (early to mid-season flowering) or Group 3 (late flowering) type. Therefore, if all the dead and damaged stems are removed, and all the remaining stems are cut back to strong buds (before growth begins in early spring), the plant will start to produce a first flush of flowers in late spring or early summer. These will be followed up with a second flush of smaller flowers in late summer. If however all the stems are cut back hard to a pair of strong buds about 15-20cm (6-8in) above ground level, the plant will behave as a Group 3 clematis and won't start to flower until midsummer - but it will often continue to bloom well into autumn. However you decide to prune it, an application of a slow-release fertiliser and a mulch of of well-rotted garden compost around the base of the plant (immediately after cutting back) will encourage lots of fresh new growth.