Cordyline australis 'Red Star'
- shipped within 2 weeks
- 2 litre pot
- Next / named day
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: fertile, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average to fast
- Flowering period: July to August
- Hardiness: half hardy (will need winter protection in colder areas)
This popular, palm-like tree has arching, sword-like, deep red leaves, retained throughout the year. Mature trees produce dramatic white flower spikes that smell exquisite. It's an ideal focal point for a sunny, protected border, patio or for the exotic garden. In frost-prone areas it's best grown inside a cool greenhouse or conservatory. In time, container-grown specimens will need to be replanted in the garden.
- Garden care: In spring when new growth appears and all danger of hard frosts has passed, cut back frost-damaged branches to just above the newly formed shoots.