winter dogwood collection
- 1 collection
- Standard £4.95
- Buy the winter dogwood collection of 3 plants for just £13.98 and save £6.99 - that's buy 2 get 1 free
- Position: full sun to part shade
- Soil: any moderately fertile, reliably moist soil
- Rate of growth: average to fast-growing
- Hardiness: fully hardy
The cornus in this collection have been selected for their spectacular autumn and winter colour. Adaptable and easy to grow deciduous shrubs, they are invaluable additions to the garden during the colder months, when their foliage turns fiery shades before dropping to reveal their colourful bare stems. They are tolerant of partial shade, however to attain the best colour they should be grown in full sun and left unpruned for the first year after planting.
Plants are supplied in 9cm pots.
The collection comprises 1 plant each of:
Cornus sanguinea 'Midwinter Fire'
The leaves of this vigorous shrub turn bright shades of orange-yellow in autumn before being shed to reveal spectacular orange, red and yellow bare stems. A welcome addition to the shrub border, where it looks very striking when backlit by a low sun. Grows to 1.5m.
Cornus alba 'Sibirica'
Upright in habit, the bright red winter stems of this robust cultivar offer vibrant colour as well as vertical interest. Wonderful when planted en masse in drifts and underplanted with either early flowering bulbs such as snowdrops, or a golden-leaved evergreen. Grows to 3m.
Cornus sericea 'Flaviramea'
Quickly forming a thicket of luminous yellow-green stems, this suckering shrub tolerates wet soil, so is ideal for boggy areas of the garden. It also looks particularly good when planted beside a pond, where its stems will be reflected in the water. Grows to 2m.
- Garden care: They are tolerant of partial shade, however to attain the best colour they should be grown in full sun and left unpruned for the first year after planting. In early spring of their second year, cut all the stems back to within 5cm of the base, and at a similar time in subsequent years, the stems should be cut back to within two or 3 buds of the previous year’s growth before applying a generous mulch of composted farmyard manure.
Buy any of my recommended dogwoods above (sold separately) for £6.99 each or save £6.99 when you buy the special buy 2 get 1 free offer and receive the collection of 3 plants above for just £13.98