cress 'common plain'
common plain cress (Lepidium sativum)
(shipped within 2-3 working days)
- approx 5000 seeds
- Seed Packets (only) £2.95
- Named day £10.95
- Position: a sunny windowsill inside, or partial shade outdoors
- Soil: good quality seed compost
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Hardiness: tender (indoor only)
Needing little introduction or very little attention apart from ensuring the tiny plants are kept moist at all times, this indoor, all year round sprouting salad cress has a light, mustard flavour and is packed full of vitamin C, vitamin K and antioxidants. Great for introducing children to the joys of growing as seed to plate is only a matter of 10-14 days.
- Growing Instructions: Pre-soak a seed tray or pot filled with seed compost, allowing it to drain, and then firm the surface. Scatter the seeds evenly over the top and lightly press into the surface of the compost. Cover with cling film and leave in a warm place (65F or 18C) until the plants have germinated. Remove the film and then gently spray water over the plants. Harvest using a pair of scissors when the plants are about 12cm (5") tall. Plants grown on compost will take up more nutrients and will have more value in terms of flavour and yield. Alternatively, grow on damp kitchen tissue in small fruit punnets on the windowsill and keep moist. Once seedlings produce green leaves and are about 3cm (1") high, snip off near the base as required. Children will love to fill half an eggshell with dampened cotton wool and sow the seeds into the top to create cress heads, complete with green 'hair'!
- Sow: all year round
- Harvest: a week to 10 days after sowing