Crocosmia × crocosmiiflora 'Emily Mckenzie'
(shipped in 3-5 working days)
- 2 litre pot
- Next / named day
This perennial dies back to below ground level each year in autumn, then fresh new growth appears again in spring.
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: moderately fertile, humus-rich, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average to fast-growing
- Flowering period: August to October
- Hardiness: frost hardy (needs winter protection in cold areas)
Arching spikes of crimson-splashed, bright orange, freesia-like flowers appear from August to October among sword-like, mid-green leaves. These magnificent montbretia are perfect for a mixed border in a sheltered, sunny site. The wiry stems are self-supporting. For maximum impact plant in bold drifts in a sunny, sheltered site with moderately fertile, humus-rich, well-drained soil. It makes an excellent cut flower.
- Garden care: Resist removing the faded foliage in autumn and cover the crown of the plant with bracken or bark chips to protect the plant against frost damage. Lift and divide congested colonies in spring, planting the divided sections 8-10cm (3-4in) deep.