- in stock
(shipped within 1 week)
- 2 litre pot
- Next / named day
This perennial dies back to below ground level each year in autumn, then fresh new growth appears again in spring.
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: moderately fertile, humus-rich, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average to fast-growing
- Flowering period: August to September
- Hardiness: frost hardy (needs winter protection in cold areas)
Arching sprays of bold, tomato-red, funnel-shaped flowers appear in August and September among handsome, pleated, mid-green leaves. This vibrant bulbous perennial is perfect for a mixed or herbaceous border in a sunny, sheltered site or as part of a 'hot' colour scheme. For maximum impact plant in bold drifts in a sunny, sheltered site with moderately fertile, humus-rich, well-drained soil. They make excellent cut flowers.
- Garden care: Resist removing the faded foliage in autumn and cover the crown of the plant with bracken or bark chips to protect the plant against frost damage. Lift and divide congested colonies in spring, planting the divided sections 8-10cm (3-4in) deep.