Delphinium 'Mighty Atom'
- available to order from spring
- 2 litre pot
- Standard £5.95
- Position: full sun
- Soil: fertile, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: June - July
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Breeder Simon Langdon says that this is one of the slightly shorter plants in his range of beautiful elatum delphiniums. The flowers are very large and closely placed together in a pretty deep lavender blue. The centre of the flower displays a further group of petals with no obvious eye showing. Like all delphiniums, these look fantastic planted in bold clumps as part of a cottage-garden scheme or towards the back of a well-drained, sunny border, where they will add height and bold splashes of colour. They make excellent cut flowers. Further flowering in the autumn may be encouraged by cutting back after flowering.
- Garden care: Protect young foliage against slug and snail damage in spring. Stake with bamboo canes in mid-spring, before the flowers appear. During the growing season, apply a balanced liquid fertiliser every 2-3 weeks and wearing gloves cut back the faded flower stems to a flowering side-shoot to encourage repeat flowering. At the end of autumn cut back and compost the faded flower-stems.
- Humans/Pets: Harmful if eaten