Euonymus europaeus 'Red Cascade'
- available to order from spring 2021
- 2 litre pot
This shrub is deciduous so it will lose all its leaves in autumn, then fresh new foliage appears again each spring.
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: any well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: May to June
- Hardiness: fully hardy
A large deciduous shrub, a native of European hedgerows, from which the wood was traditionally used for making spindles. This plant really comes into its own in autumn and winter, when its dark green leaves turn blazing scarlet. Insignificant summer flowers are followed by gorgeous, orange-pink, winged fruit which remain long after the leaves have fallen. Plant it in view of the house, where its vibrant display can be appreciated. It's also wonderful in a winter border among early-flowering bulbs or shrubs grown for winter interest. The autumn colour is spectacular in full sun, but 'Red Cascade' will grow reasonably well in partial shade.
- Garden care: Tip prune young plants in mid to late spring to encourage bushy growth and apply a generous 5-7cm (2-3in) mulch of well-rotted garden compost or manure around the base of the plant.
- Harmful if eaten
Goes well with
2 litre pot
available to order from spring 2021