fennel 'Sweet Florence'
fennel or Foeniculum vulgare 'Sweet Florence'
- available to order from spring
- approx 100 seeds
- Position: full sun
- Soil: fertile, moisture retentive
A very handsome plant in the garden with its graceful, feathery foliage and, later on, an extraordinary white bulb-like stem. Both foliage and stem are sweetly fragrant, with a delicate aniseed flavour: pick the leaves earlier in the season for flavouring fish dishes, and try the stem very finely sliced into a salad with orange and watercress.
- Growing Instructions:Wait until late spring or even early summer to avoid fluctuations in temperature which will make your fennel run to seed early. Sow direct where it is to grow, into shallow drills about 1cm deep. Thin seedlings to 20cm apart, keep well watered, and protect against slugs. Earthing up stems as they swell blanches them and sweetens the flavour.
- Sow: April-May
- Harvest: September (leaves from June)
- Approximate quantity: 100 seeds.