Fritillaria imperialis 'Lutea'
crown imperial bulb
- 3 bulbs
- available to order from summer
- 1 bulb
- Bulbs (only) £4.95
- Position: full sun
- Soil: fertile, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: May to June
- Hardiness: fully hardy
- Bulb size: 18-20
Clusters of striking, bright yellow, bell-like flowers on sturdy stems are topped with a ruff of leaf-like bracts in May and June. These imposing and long-lasting bulbs look fabulous emerging from a sunny, well-drained herbaceous border. After flowering remove the ripening leaves - left in place the seedpods provide sculptural interest for several months.
- Garden care: Plant bulbs (ideally on their sides) 20cm deep from September to November in fertile, well-drained soil, taking care not to damage the fragile bulbs. To minimise unnecessary disturbance use a marker indicating where the bulbs have been planted
- Humans/Pets: Ornamental bulbs - not to be eaten