Hakonechloa macra 'All Gold'
- in stock
(shipped within 1 week)
- 9cm pot
- Next / named day
This grass dies back to below ground level each year in autumn, then fresh new growth appears again in spring.
- Position: prefers a cool, moist environment in sun or part shade
- Soil: moist, humus-rich soil
- Rate of growth: slow, non-invasive
- Flowering period: August - September
- Hardiness: fully hardy
This cracking grass is happiest in a lightly shaded spot (ideally where it gets morning sun, but shade during the hottest part of the afternoon) where its golden foliage will really shine. It does tolerate sunnier conditions, but the foliage colour is less luminous, turning a more lime green in full sun. One of the best for forming low groundcover, it looks great planted in big numbers, as well as softening the edges of a pathway or border. It also works really well when potted up on the patio.
- Garden care: Incorporate lots of well-rotted garden compost into the planting hold. Leave flower heads to dry out through the winter, adding valuable texture to plantings. Apply a light mulch (3cm) of well-rotted garden compost after cutting back old foliage and before new growth emerges in spring.