Helleborus × ericsmithii 'Pirouette' (PBR)
- available to order from autumn
- 3 litre pot
This perennial is semi-evergreen so it can lose some of its leaves in winter. In colder regions or more exposed gardens, it may lose them all, but then fresh new growth appears again in spring.
- Position: partial shade
- Soil: neutral to alkaline, freely draining soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: December to April
- Hardiness: fully hardy
A fab hellebore, which is noted for its ability to produce an abundance of flowers over a prolonged period from mid-winter to mid-spring. The flowers can be in variable shades of pink. Once established, it is tolerant of dry shade, so it is an ideal woodlander, and is perfect for underplanting deciduous trees and shrubs, where it will provide low-growing, early interest before the overhead canopy of leaves emerge. Plant it with ferns, hostas and early flowering bulbs to complete the effect.
- Garden care: Add lots of well-rotted leaf mould or organic matter to the planting hole. Apply a generous 5-7cm (2-3in) mulch of well-rotted organic matter around the base of the plant in autumn and provide a top-dressing of general fertiliser each spring.
- Harmful if eaten/skin irritant