Hydrangea macrophylla Glam Rock ('Horwack') (PBR)
- within 4 weeks
- 2 litre pot
This shrub is deciduous so it will lose all its leaves in autumn, then fresh new foliage appears again each spring.
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: moist, well-drained, moderately fertile, humus-rich soil
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Flowering period: July to October
- Hardiness: fully hardy
One of the most colourful of the new breed, this hortensia hydrangea produces impressive clusters of flowers, each of which consist of three colours. Like many hydrangeas, the flower colour will vary depending on the soil type, but primarily they are a hot pinkish red with a bluish purple eye (when grown in acidic soils) and splashes of lime green at the petal tips. If you want a showy and long-flowering shrub, then you won't be disappointed.
- Garden care: Leave the old flower heads in place through the winter. As the new shoots start to emerge in spring cut back a third to a quarter of the previous seasons flowering stems to the base and cut back the remaining flower heads to the first pair of buds.