Hydrangea paniculata 'Bombshell' (PBR)
- available to order from autumn
- 2 litre pot
This shrub is deciduous so it will lose all its leaves in autumn, then fresh new foliage appears again each spring.
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: moist, well-drained, moderately fertile, humus-rich soil
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Flowering period: July to October
- Hardiness: fully hardy
A cultivar of Hydrangea paniculata, which is currently making a big splash 'on the scene'. It is unique because it has a compact habit, and almost rounded flowerheads, which appear prolifically for a long period from mid-summer. It also tends to form a more branching shrub than many of the other varieties currently available. A wonderful plant, its creamy-white flowers often emerge with a pale pink eye, and this becomes more pronounced as the flowers mature during the summer. The flower-heads are excellent in dried arrangements.
- Garden care: To enhance flowering prune hard in early spring, cutting back the previous season's shoots to within a few buds of the permanent, woody framework of the plant.