Hypericum × inodorum Magical Beauty ('Kolmbeau') (PBR)
St. John's wort
- available to order from late spring
- 2 litre pot
- Standard £5.95
- Named Day £10.95
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: moderately fertile, moist but well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: July to October
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Golden crown-like flowers give way to long-interest berries turning from yellow, though pink to finally black. ‘Magical Beauty’ is a long season, semi-evergreen ‘St John’s Wort’ that really earns it’s keep. Bees and many other beneficial pollinating insects find the sunny flowers irresistible, and you're guaranteed months of colour from flowers, which appear from June right through to September, with fruits appearing from August. Perfect for pots, it’s also a flower arranger’s dream!
- Garden care: When planting ‘Magical Beauty’ incorporate well-rotted compost or manure into the planting hole and add some mycorrhizal fungi to aid root establishment. After flowering lightly trim back shoots that spoil the symmetry of the plant. After pruning apply a generous 5-7cm mulch of well-rotted garden compost or manure around the base of the plant.
- Humans/Pets: Fruit are ornamental - not to be eaten