Lathyrus odoratus 'Frolic'
spencer sweet pea seed Frolic
(shipped within 2-3 working days)
- approx 20 seeds
- Seed Packets (only) £2.95
- Named Day £10.95
- Position: full sun
- Soil: fertile, humus-rich, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average to fast-growing
- Flowering period: June to September
- Hardiness: hardy annual
Each creamy-white petal has a fine pink edge, creating a beautiful bi-coloured bloom that blends well with darker pinks. The flowers, which appear in loose clusters throughout summer, are scented, so ideally they should be planted near a busy path or entranceway where you can enjoy them each time you pass.
In our (not very scientific) sweet pea trial on the nursery, we found that this variety did not have the strongest scent, but the flowers were held on long stems to 10" long, and there were still plenty of them in August.
All the sweet peas in our trial produced significantly better plants when the seeds were sown in autumn rather than spring.
- Garden care: From October to late February, sow seeds into deep pots or root trainers filled with a good-quality seed compost and place them in a cold frame. Pinch out the tips as the plants grow to encourage them to become bushier and produce more flowers, and harden off before planting out in early April. Direct sowings can also be made in October or March-April. It is important to remove the faded flowers before they set seed, so picking them to fill a vase inside will only encourage more to form.
- Sow: October-April
- Flowering: June-September
- Approximate quantity: 20 seeds
- Humans/Pets: Pods and seeds are not edible