Lathyrus odoratus 'Oxford Blue'
spencer sweet pea seed Oxford Blue
(shipped within 2-3 working days)
- approx 20 seeds
- Seed Packets (only) £2.95
- Named day £10.95
- Position: full sun
- Soil: fertile, humus-rich, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average to fast-growing
- Flowering period: June to September
- Hardiness: hardy annual
The colour of these fragrant blue blooms intensifies as they age, providing a very pretty contrast to the greyish-green leaves. Sweet peas are a cottage garden favourite and look wonderful when allowed to scramble over a wigwam of brushwood where they will get sun for the best part of the day.
In our (not very scientific) sweet pea trial on the nursery, we found that the flowers of this variety had a slight fragrance and were held on 6 - 8" stems. There were not too many left in August though.
All the sweet peas in our trial produced significantly better plants when the seeds were sown in autumn rather than spring.
- Garden care: From October to late March, sow seeds into pots filled with good-quality seed compost and place them in a cold frame. Pinch out the tips as the plants grow to encourage them to become bushier, and harden off before planting out in a sunny spot from April onwards. Direct sowings can be made in October or March. It is important to remove the faded flowers before they set seed, so picking them to fill a vase inside will only encourage more to form.
- Sow: September-March
- Flowering: June-September
- Humans/Pets: Pods and seeds are not edible