Lathyrus odoratus 'Midnight'
spencer sweet pea seed
- shipped within 2 weeks
- approx 20 seeds
- Position: full sun
- Soil: fertile, humus-rich, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average to fast-growing
- Flowering period: June to September
- Hardiness: hardy annual
Larger than average, dark maroon flowers, which look almost black in certain lights, appear in clusters early in the season. Their long stems and sweet perfume make them ideal for cutting and adding to fresh arrangements.
All the sweet-peas in our trial produced significantly better plants when the seeds were sown in autumn rather than spring.
- Garden care: From October to late March, sow seeds into pots filled with good-quality seed compost and place them in a cold frame. Pinch out the tips as the plants grow to encourage them to become bushier, and harden off before planting out in a sunny spot from April onwards. Direct sowings can be made in October or March. It is important to remove the faded flowers before they set seed, so picking them to fill a vase inside will only encourage more to form.
- Sow: September-March
- Flowering: June-September
- Approximate quantity: 20 seeds.