Lobelia cardinalis 'Queen Victoria'
- available to order from autumn
- 2 litre pot
This perennial dies back to below ground level each year in autumn, then fresh new growth appears again in spring.
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: deep, fertile, moist soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: August to October
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Stunning spikes of scarlet, five-petalled flowers rise up in late summer among beautiful, beetroot-coloured foliage. This gorgeous cardinal flower brings a splash of vibrant colour to the garden just as many perennials are fading. It is excellent for filling gaps left by early-flowering perennials in a mixed or herbaceous border and suits a planting scheme based on 'hot' colours.
- Garden care: Divide large clumps of plants every second year in spring. Protect the crown of the plant during winter with a thick, dry mulch, such as straw. This moisture-loving plant can also be grown at the edges of a pond, and will tolerate water levels up to 30cm deep if potted up into a basket with aquatic compost.
- Harmful if eaten