Miscanthus sinensis 'Kleine Silberspinne'
Chinese silver grass
- available to order from late summer
- 2 litre pot
This grass dies back to below ground level each year in autumn, then fresh new growth appears again in spring.
- Position: full sun
- Soil: moderately fertile, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: initially slow to establish but faster as it matures
- Flowering period: September and October
- Hardiness: fully hardy
This is a star plant for any garden. It’s compact, and doesn’t take up too much space, but it’s also dramatic. Narrow, silvery leaves have a white stripe down the centre, and masses of upright, feathery, reddish-brown plumes fade to silver in the autumn. When the flowers catch the evening sun, the plant appears to be sitting under a silvery halo.
- Garden care: Cut back in late winter before the new foliage appears.