Narcissus 'Grand Soleil d'Or'
tazetta daffodil or indoor daffodil
- available to order from autumn
- 5 bulbs
- 15 bulbs
- Standard (dispatched separately)
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Flowering period: March to April, as early as December if forced
- Hardiness: frost hardy (may need winter protection)
- Bulb size: 15/16
You can either grow this beautiful small-flowered daffodil outside in a sheltered spot, or pot the bulbs up for forcing them on inside your home. Each stem produces a generous number of richly scented bicoloured blooms, which are excellent for cutting.
- Garden care: Wearing gloves plant bulbs 10-15cm deep and 10cm apart in autumn. After flowering feed with a balanced fertiliser, deadhead the flowers, but do not be tempted to cut back or tidy the foliage after flowering as this will interfere with the bulbs’ ability to store energy for the following year's flowers.
- To force your daffodils: Plant them close together in bowls filled with bulb fibre. Make sure the growing tips are protruding just above the top of the compost. Put them in a cold, dark place, which will encourage the flowering stems and roots to develop before the leaves. Keep the bulb fibre just moist and leave them in the dark for 8 weeks - or until the new shoots are about 4-5cm tall. Once they have reached this height, bring them into a light room away from bright sunlight. The leaves will gradually turn green and you can slowly increase the light levels as they do. The flowers will soon follow.
- Harmful if eaten/skin irritant