Nicotiana alata 'Grandiflora'
- available to order from late spring
- approx 700 seeds
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: fertile, moist, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: July to September
- Hardiness: half hardy
Well-loved for their creamy white, slender trumpet-shaped flowers, which appear in abundance for several months in summer and autumn, filling the evening air with their heady perfume. They are popular as seasonal bedding and also work well in patio pots where they can be placed next to entrances or seating areas. Mainly grown as an annual, this short-lived perennial may survive the winter if grown in a sheltered spot in the garden.
- Garden care: Early sowings can be undertaken under glass at approximately 20°C, in trays or pots filled with good quality seed compost. Surface sow thinly and water from the bottom of the pots by sitting them in a tray of water for a short time when necessary. When large enough to handle, grow on in small pots and gradually harden off before planting outside at 45cm intervalsafter frost. As the seeds are so small it may help to mix them with a little sand before sowing. This will help you keep track of where they are and also avoid overcrowding.
- Sow: March-May
- Flowering: June-October
- Approximate quantity: 700 seeds
- Harmful if eaten