Eventual height & spread
basil 'Purple Ruffles'
basil or Ocimum basilicum var. purpurascens 'Purple Ruffles'
(shipped within 2-3 working days)
- approx 200 seeds
- Next / named day
- Position: full sun, sheltered and warm or a sunny windowsill
- Soil: fertile, moist but well drained
- Rate of growth: average
- Hardiness: tender
Decorative as well as tasty and nutritious, the dark purple leaves of this herb have a fringed edge and quilted appearance. Ideal for adding contrasting colour to the kitchen garden, they look wonderful when added to salads or used as a garnish. Pick plants over regularly to prevent bolting (running to seed) and to encourage lots of fresh young leaves.
- Growing Instructions: Sow seeds into pots of free-draining seed compost on a warm, sunny windowsill or in a greenhouse from late spring. Protect seedlings from slugs and cold and keep well-watered as they grow. Plant out into the herb garden or into roomy pots or troughs from early summer, after all threat of frost has passed, allowing 15-20cm between plants. Pick plants over regularly and remove any developing flowerheads immediately to prevent bolting (running to seed) and to encourage lots of fresh young leaves.
- Sow: April to June
- Harvest: July to September
- Approximate quantity: 200
Goes well with
49 × 21 × 17.5cm
(shipped in 3-5 working days)