Ophiopogon planiscapus 'Nigrescens'
- available to order from spring 2020
- 9cm pot
- 3 × 9cm pots
- Standard £4.95
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: moist, well-drained, slightly acidic soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: June to August
- Hardiness: fully hardy
This small, easy to grow, clump-forming evergreen perennial has strappy, inky purple, grass-like leaves. In summer, small spikes of bell-shaped, pale mauve flowers appear, followed by spherical, dark blue fruit. This unusual plant looks fantastic with other grasses, especially if grouped in tubs or planted into gravel, and it provides a brilliant contrast with silvery plants in sun, or bright green ferns in shade.
- Garden care: Top-dress plants in autumn with leaf mould.