Osmanthus × burkwoodii
- available to order from late autumn
- 2 litre pot
- Standard £4.95
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: fertile, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: April and May
- Hardiness: fully hardy
This popular, rounded, evergreen shrub has glossy, finely toothed, dark green leaves beautifully offset by highly scented, jasmine like, white flowers in mid and late spring. In flower, it will light up a shady corner of the garden and as an evergreen, makes a lovely foil for other flowering plants and ferns.
- Garden care: Minimal pruning is required. Remove misplaced, dead or diseased branches in late spring and apply a generous 5-7cm (2-3in) mulch of well-rotted garden compost or manure around the base of the plant.