Paeonia lactiflora 'Sarah Bernhardt'
paeony or peony
- available to order from late autumn
- 4 litre pot
This perennial dies back to below ground level each year in autumn, then fresh new growth appears again in spring.
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: fertile, moisture-retentive yet well-drained
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: June to July
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Enormous, rose pink, fragrant, double summer flowers and mid green leaves. This magnificent, late-flowering, pale pink peony has been popular since the Edwardian era. To support the large flowers stake in spring using bamboo canes or metal link stakes. An excellent specimen plant for a partially sunny border.
This paeonia has been field grown, however in order to keep the roots hydrated and promote fresh new growth, we have potted them up. Therefore, your plant may not have a well developed root system just yet, so you should not worry if the soil falls away when you are planting it out.
- Garden care: Deadhead after flowering. In early spring apply a balanced slow-release fertiliser around the base of the plant and mulch with well-rotted compost or manure.