Penstemon digitalis 'Husker Red'
- in stock
- 9cm pot
- Standard £4.95
- Next / named day £6.95
This perennial dies back to below ground level each year in autumn, then fresh new growth appears again in spring.
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: fertile, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: June to August
- Hardiness: frost hardy (will need winter protection in cold areas)
Pink-tinted white, bell-shaped flowers are produced along tall spires from early to late summer. The young foliage adds a splash of colour too as it emerges maroon-red then fades to green. Like all penstemons, it is perfect for the middle of a sunny, mixed or herbaceous border. For the best results chose a well-drained site, since it strongly dislikes waterlogged winter soils.
- Garden care: Remove the faded blooms regularly to prolong flowering. Cut back and compost the spent flower stems in autumn and apply a dry mulch around the crown of the plant to protect against frost damage