Philadelphus 'Dainty Lady' (PBR)
- available to order from spring 2021
- 2 litre pot
This shrub is deciduous so it will lose all its leaves in autumn, then fresh new foliage appears again each spring.
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: fertile, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: June to July
- Hardiness: fully hardy
This pretty deciduous shrub is incredibly tough, and it also produces some of the most deliciously scented flowers. The slender stems are mainly upright, but they do become more arching in early summer when they are weighted down with an abundance of pure white blooms. It's a great feature plant for a smaller garden, but it can also be used in larger borders, where it will offer a lush green backdrop for late-flowering perennials.
- Garden care: Mulch around the roots in spring with a deep layer of well-rotted garden compost or manure. Prune in late summer, immediately after flowering, removing one in four of the older stems to ground level.