Physalis alkekengi var. franchetii
- shipped within 2 weeks
- 9cm pot
- Next / named day
This perennial dies back to below ground level each year in autumn, then fresh new growth appears again in spring.
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: any well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Flowering period: July to August
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Tiny, creamy-white flowers from July to August followed by bright orange-scarlet berries enclosed by papery, red lanterns. Chinese lanterns are perfect for providing autumn interest in well-drained areas of the garden. The papery lanterns make wonderful dried flower arrangements. To prevent them from becoming invasive try cutting a slit trench around the crown of the plant with a spade each autumn.
- Garden care: To check the spread of underground stems cut the area round the crown of the plant with a spade each autumn. Lift and divide congested colonies in spring.