Potentilla fruticosa Marian Red Robin ('Marrob') (PBR)
- available to order from spring 2021
- 2 litre pot
This shrub is deciduous so it will lose all its leaves in autumn, then fresh new foliage appears again each spring.
- Position: full sun to partial shade
- Soil: poor to moderately fertile, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: May to October
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Masses of vibrant, vermilion red flowers with yellow centres and undersides appear from May to October among pretty, deeply cut, dark green leaves. Since the colour quickly fades to orange in full sun, this deciduous shrub does best in partial shade. An excellent spreading, long-flowering plant for a sunny, well-drained, mixed border, and generally pest and disease free too.
- Garden care: Trim lightly after flowering, cutting the older stems to the base and removing weak, spindly growth. Apply a generous 5-7cm (2-3in) mulch of well-rotted compost or manure around the base of the plant in spring.