Salvia greggii 'Lipstick'
- available to order from summer
- 9cm pot
This perennial is semi-evergreen so it can lose some of its leaves in winter. In colder regions or more exposed gardens, it may lose them all, but then fresh new growth appears again in spring.
- Position: full light (with shade from hot sun)
- Soil: well-drained
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: June to October
- Hardiness: half hardy (will need winter protection)
Vibrantly coloured flowers top the upright stems of this aromatic perennial for several months from early summer. The foliage is a fresh green, and when crushed or brushed over, it emits a delicious minty smell. Fabulous for pots and containers it will become drought tolerant once established.
- Garden care: To prolong flowering remove the flower spikes as soon they start to fade. Apply a generous 5-7cm (2-3in) mulch of well-rotted garden compost or manure around the base of the plant in spring. Protect from excessive winter cold and wet.