Sarcococca hookeriana Winter Gem ('Pmoore03') (PBR)
- available to order from late autumn
- 2 litre pot
- Standard £4.95
- Position: partial shade
- Soil: moderately fertile, humus-rich, moist, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: slow-growing
- Flowering period: late winter and early spring
- Hardiness: fully hardy
A new hybrid form (S. hookeriana var. digyna 'Purple Stem' x S. hookeriana var. humilis), which has inherited the best qualities of both its parents. It has larger than average leaves, which are a glossy, rich green and highly scented white flowers in winter that are followed by spherical, glossy, red berries that ripen to black. Tough and tolerant of most conditions, it is especially valuable for shadier areas.
- Garden care: If necessary after flowering lightly trim or prune back shoots that spoil the plant's symmetry. After pruning apply a generous 5-7cm (2-3in) mulch of well-rotted compost around the base of the plant.