Sorbus commixta 'Embley'
- Available in 4 weeks
- 10 lt pot (1.5-1.8m)
- Next / named day
This tree is deciduous so it will lose all its leaves in autumn, then fresh new foliage appears again each spring.
- Position: full sun or lightly dappled shade
- Soil: tolerates most soils
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Flowering period: April to May
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Long, tapered glossy green leaves, made up of 13 to 17 leaflets, appear in spring followed by small white flowers in late spring. In autumn, the tree is covered in clusters of bright red fruit and the crown is ablaze of scarlet foliage, deepening to ruby red. More upright in habit that the species, this is a slender branching, conical tree, which is ideal for a small garden or woodland area.
- Garden care: Requires minimal pruning. Remove any broken, diseased or crossing branches in late autumn or winter. When planting incorporate lots of well-rotted garden compost in the planting hole and stake firmly.