white clover - green manure
- in stock
- approx 750 seeds
- Standard £4.95
- Next / named day £7.95
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: fertile, moist, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: fast
- Flowering period: April to September
- Hardiness: fully hardy
A common sight in wild meadows, this fast-growing clover has rich green leaflets, often with a creamy white band at their base. For many months from spring to autumn, clusters of near-white flowers appear in profusion and these are very attractive to bees and other pollinating insects. This is one to avoid if you want a pristine lawn (it can become invasive), but it is perfect if you want to create low-growing ground cover in record time. White clover can also be grown as a green manure crop and dug into the soil before the plants start to flower.
- Garden care: Sow shallowly in pots or trays at any time of the year using good seed compost and keep moist but not wet. Place them in a warm position with a little light shade until they have germinated, then move them into the sun. If necessary thin them out and plant them out after they have grown on.
- Sow: January - December
- Flowering: April-September
- Approximate quantity: 750 seeds